Plan the Perfect Wedding on the Gorge—New River Gorge, West Virginia
A knee has been taken. A question has been asked… and answered. Now the planning begins. You should know that there is no more beautiful outdoor wedding venue than Adventures on the Gorge—the only wedding location that literally overhangs the rim of West Virginia's New River Gorge.
Check-out some of our best New River Gorge wedding moments—plus get insider advice on how to write your wedding-day story. Because let's face it—every wedding is unforgettable in its own way, but only an Adventures on the Gorge wedding takes your day to a whole other level of unforgettable.
1. The View: With this scenery, who wouldn't want to tie the knot here? Our campus is located directly on the rim of the New River Gorge in southern West Virginia. Conveniently located 20 minutes North of Beckley and one hour from Charleston, you and your guests can still escape reality, while all the essentials are available within a short walk or drive.
2. The Details: Dare to be different! Every bride struggles with the details of a wedding, but you can benefit from combining elements of traditional and modern. Simply picking us as your venue screams unique! Look for things outside of the box, such as serving breakfast food for your reception. Use antique-style photographs of your families as table decorations to signify the uniting of old and new. Go all out and rent a massive tent for your reception on our property complete with a contemporary dance floor and homemade jam as party favors. It's your day! Make it memorable!
3. Family and Friends: Of course, your day would not be complete without family and friends, especially the wedding party! Treat them. After all, they are stressing right along with you. Plan a pre-wedding brunch for your bridesmaids at a deluxe cabin or a night of football and wings at Chetty's Pub for the groomsman. Want something bigger? Plan an entire week of adventure activities prior to or following your nuptials. Is there any better way to celebrate a marriage then the happy couple hurtling through the forest on a zip line or bombing the exhilarating rapids of America's best whitewater?
4. The Food: Have your cake and eat it, too! Our event coordinator can offer suggestions or recommendations on area vendors to book for your wedding. Want an elaborate cake with four tiers and fondant flowers? No problem. Live band instead of DJ? Sure, we can do that. How about an evening reception on our lower deck overlooking the pristine gorge with glowing lanterns, sparkling cocktail glasses and a checkered black and white dance floor buzzing with guests? You bet! Anything within the reach of our staff and vendors is yours for the taking.
5. The First Kiss: In order to get to that first kiss as husband and wife, you might be struggling with what to do about an officiant or marriage licensing, especially for a destination wedding. The State of West Virginia requires all couples have a valid marriage license before the service. If you are a state resident, you should obtain your license in the county in which you live. If you are not a resident, you can obtain your marriage license in Fayette County at the office of the County Clerk. We also can assist in contacting a local minister, rabbi or priest for your ceremony.
6. The Facilities: Our facilities are one-of-a-kind! Smokey's On the Gorge, our premier restaurant, is the hub of it all when it comes to weddings. From an intimate ceremony overlooking the New River Gorge on our pool deck to our open air pavilion for the ultimate celebration, we'll make it happen. We also offer deluxe and rustic lodging, 3 restaurants and over 30 different adventure activities to choose from.
7. The Food Again: Have I mentioned the food? We know you'll probably be bringing your own cake and favors, but our culinary staff can certainly satisfy your taste buds. Our premier restaurant, Smokey's On the Gorge, caters weddings and is renowned for gourmet buffet style dining. From Carribbean Jerk Pork Loin to Cavitappi with Shrimp, Scallops & Pesto Cream plus everything in between, our seasoned kitchen staff can customize a menu to your taste.
8. Fun: We're the fun wedding! Whether young or old, everyone has a good time here. Make sure to add on your adventure activities such as rafting and zip lining or rent out Rendezvous Lodge for some after-hours fun. Or just take the kids to Canyon Falls Pool!
9. The View Again: Ok, I realize I have already drilled this into your brain, but our views are simply AMAZING! There's no being modest. They rock!
10. Happily Ever After: There you have it! My advice for planning your AOTG wedding as told through major successes of the past. Think Adventures On the Gorge is exactly what you've been looking for? Call us! Our event coordinator would love to speak with you. After all, we want every couple to complete their journey and find a fairy tale ending!